No.26 Sound level meter purchased in the past is still valid after the amendment of the provision for the verification test?
The provisions of the verification test for sound level meter have been revised with the revision of the Measurement Law.
If the valid period of the sound level meter verified in the past has expired, is it necessary to replace it with a new sound level meter?
Is there any transitional period to use the sound level meter purchased before the revision?
The amendment of the provision for the verification test of sound level meter
• The verification test of sound level meter
The sound level meter used in transactions or certifications must be verified with the Measurement Law.
Examples of “transactions or certifications” are;
- Automotive manufacturers, automotive maintenance factories, etc. inspect whether driving noise and exhaust noise comply with safety standards, and issue certificates (certification of completion test, automobile inspection)
- A measurement certification business operator certifies the measurement of noise as per request
- Factories, etc. measure and record noise generated from factories in relation to the Noise Regulation Act, and report the results to government agencies such as local governments, or submit them during on-site inspections of government agencies.
The verification test is conducted by a designated verification body (Japan Quality Assurance Organization, in the case of sound level meters) in accordance with the Enforcement of the Measurement Act and the provision of verification test for specified measuring instruments (hereinafter referred to as “the provision of verification test”) and a certificate (a verification mark) is affixed as inspection passed.
* When a designated manufacturing business operator makes a sound level meter whose type is approved, it can perform the verification test for self-inspection, so the new product delivery will be verified by itself and a pass certificate (conformity to standards mark) will be affixed.
• The revision of the provisions of the verification test
The provisions of the verification test for sound level meter have been revised and enforced with effect of 1 November 2015.
The sound level meter (former type) whose type has been approved (to conform to technical standards related to the structure and performance required for specified measuring instruments) before the revision may not pass the revised verification test, so the following transitional measures are applied and it can be used as verified for the time being.
The sound level meter whose type has been approved since 1 November 2015 will be verified with the revised one.
* The sound level meters without type approval is eligible to receive the verification test, however, it may not be passed.
• Transitional measures
As it is transitional measures, the sound level meter whose type has been approved before 1 November 2015 can be used as verified till 31 October 2027 if it passes the test according to the standards of the pre-revision. (The validity period of the verification test is 5 years, so if it is verified on 31 October 2027, it can be used up to 31 October 2032.)
Since the former type of sound level meter is eligible to receive the revised verification test, there is possibility to use it as verified after 31 October 2027.
Transitional measures for the sound level meters
As transitional measures for manufacturers, sound level meters that have received type approval by 31 October 2015 can be made by 31 October 31 2017. Therefore, even if the sound level meter with the verification is purchased after 1 November 2015, it may or may not pass the revised verification test. You can determine by the type approval number which is displayed on the sound level meter whether the type has been approved before or after the revision.
- The symbols of the type approval number based on the provisions after the revision
- General sound level meter (class 2): TS
- Precision sound level meter (class 1): TF
- The symbols of the type approval number based on the provisions before the revision
- General sound level meter (class 2): SLS
- Precision sound level meter (class 1): SLF
Assessment manual for environmental standards related to noise written by Ministry or the Environment (Oct 2015)